2016: Experimental & Emerging Research in Chiari
The 2016 Think Tank meeting focused on experimental and emerging areas of research in Chiari medicine. This year saw the largest group of physicians, nurses, neuropsychologists and other clinical experts than ever in attendance!
Thanks to all who came out this year, not only to teach, but also to learn a little more about Chiari and its related disorders. Constant education (even of the experts!) will help ensure patients are receiving the best care possible!
Among the experts in the room, there was a huge response to the talks about cognition and a real desire to learn more about what clinicians can do to help patients who may feel cognitively impaired.
CSF was thrilled to see this interest spike and chose cognition issues in children and adults with Chiari as the topic for the 2016 fall CSF Research Colloquium.
2016 Think Tank Presentations
- Chiari Co-Morbidities: Can Earlier Diagnosis Avert Other Surgeries? – Robert Parrish, MD (Neurosurgeon)
- Various Neurological Manifestations of EDS that Might Confuse the Presentation of Chiari Malformation – Fraser C. Henderson Sr., MD (Neurosurgeon)
- Chiari & Cognition – Gerald Grant, MD (Pediatric Neurosurgeon)
- Translational Approach to Study Cognition in CSF Disorders & Using an Animal Model to Understand Cognitive Deficits Associated with Hydrocephalus – Petra M. Klinge, MD, PhD (Neurosurgeon/Pediatric Neurosurgeon) & Rebecca Burwell, MD (Neuroscientists)
- Research Update in Chiari-like Malformation in Small Breed Dogs – Catherine A. Loughin, DVM (Veterinarian)
- The Miracle Dog – Dominic J. Marino, DVM (Veterinarian)
- Chiari Co-Morbidity in Gorham-Stout Disease – Lisa Klepper, BSN, RN (Nurse)
- Mechanisms of Pain in Syringomyelia – Daniel Couture, MD (Pediatric Neurosurgeon)
- CDE Project Update – Mark G. Luciano, MD, PhD (Neurosurgeon)
- The PFD Trial for Children with Chiari I Malformation & Syringomyelia – David D. Limbrick, MD, PhD (Pediatric Neurosurgeon)
- Mechanistic Modeling: The Pathway to Precision Medicine – Prabhakar Deonikar, PhD (Scientist)
- Atlanto-axial Instability & Dysautonomia – Todd Bell, MD (Pediatrician)